Add Reply
New Poll

For All Your Heart's Desire!, Pour Out Your Questions!
Scythe
 Posted: Jun 9 2013, 11:22 PM

Go Getter
Group: The Staff

Seeing how I am the resident Star Wars man here, I have decided to set up a booth where all the members can come and ask any question about Star Wars you can think of! Even if I don't know the answer, I'll find it! So help me help you, so that it can help me. Build my rep in the Star Wars RP community by helping prove my knowledge. Gimme your worst, in other words.

So, ask away!
PMEmailWebsiteMSN
^
Makakoa
 Posted: Jun 12 2013, 06:59 PM

Go Getter

I love Star Wars. I'm probably one of the few SW fans who enjoy the prequels for "what they are" and don't complain. haha! What's your take on Force Unleashed games as far as Starkiller being so powerful?

--------------------
Anyone wanna play Beverly Crusher? A little romance...marry Picard, all that jazz

user posted image
CLICK:::: STAR TREK: THE DEVIL'S DOOR ::::CLICK
PM
^
Scythe
 Posted: Jun 12 2013, 07:46 PM

Go Getter

Ooh, that's a hard one to answer, because I have a personal relationship with The Force Unleashed, since it was the first Star Wars game I was exposed to. One of my first RP characters was even based of Starkiller (real name Galen Marek). But, in terms of how powerful he is, I'd have to say I'm kind of neutral on the topic. Genetically, it's fairly reasonable, since his father and mother were Jedi, so he'd have a stronger natural force ability, and he obviously showed signs of early development (he could force grab the lightsaber out of Vader's hand when he was an untrained child). Also, during Vader's duel with Starkiller's father, who used the force quite well and often in the duel, Vader stated that he sensed a more powerful presence nearby, which was Starkiller.

Then, training wise, he was trained by one of the most powerful Jedi in the Old Republic, who was now even more powerful as a Sith. So, his training was nothing but foreshadowing on him being extremely powerful.

Yet, in comparison to other powerful force users of the era (Sidious, Vader, Luke, Kenobi, etc.), he was unnaturally powerful. And it ended up being his demise, because he was so passionate it's the only thing that fueled his power, but when his passion was taken away from him, his powers didn't get stronger from rage. I mean, seriously, he survived being spaced but was killed by lightning? Reasonable, but with as powerful as he was a major flaw.

So, in the long run, I'd say while he is REALLY powerful, it has some fairly good reasons, so my take on it is that he's a little too powerful, but it's justified. I'll come back and edit in whether the mother was a Jedi or not, because I can't remember.

EDIT: Confirmed mother being a Jedi. So, yeah, the power is justified gentically.

This post has been edited by Scythe: Jun 12 2013, 07:48 PM
PMEmailWebsiteMSN
^
Makakoa
 Posted: Jun 12 2013, 08:49 PM

Go Getter

Story wise the justification is there, but I think it takes away so much from what was already established. It sort of diminishes Luke and Vader's awe inspiring power (at least to me!) Not to mention Palpatine was a pimp lol. The games were awesome though.

It should be interesting to see if Disney has any plans with the character since it's between the trilogies.

--------------------
Anyone wanna play Beverly Crusher? A little romance...marry Picard, all that jazz

user posted image
PM
^
Scythe
 Posted: Jun 12 2013, 09:41 PM

Go Getter

I have to agree with you on that point. Like I said, they made him so much more powerful than the big force users of the time, despite the fact one of the big force users was BORN from the force. :/ One of my least favorite parts.

I'm not sure Disney would do that. I mean, I know it's Star Wars and all, the Sequel Trilogy is going to be dark, at least some of it, but this would be REALLY dark. I mean, Starkiller is one of the darker characters I've seen yet, at least while he was a Sith. I mean, yeah Vader and Sidious were dark, but they had a motive. Starkiller was just, dark.
PMEmailWebsiteMSN
^
Makakoa
 Posted: Jun 13 2013, 03:14 AM

Go Getter

I have a feeling a lot of "canon" isn't going to be canon for much longer. There's just so much stuff out there that's taken place all around the movies and now Disney is goin' explorin'. I've heard about a Boba Fett movie, a Han Solo movie or trilogy, of course 7, 8, 9 and even about stuff happening in between the trilogies. It might get a little crazy. I mean Donald Duck crazy. lol

While scary it is intriguing though. Its almost relieving in a way. I know my kid will grow up with Star Wars just like I did, in some fashion at least. I'm curious how closely they'll follow the EU novels.

--------------------

user posted image
PM
^
Scythe
 Posted: Jun 13 2013, 09:05 AM

Go Getter

When I first started hearing about the rumors there would be an Episode VII, VIII, and IX, I was really hoping it would follow Timothy Zahn's novels roughly, if he gave permission. But when I found out it was Disney who was making them, I was just like "Yeah, not gonna happen."
PMEmailWebsiteMSN
^
Makakoa
 Posted: Jun 13 2013, 06:44 PM

Go Getter

Haha! Yeah, I guess time will tell what will happen. It is nice to know Luke, Leia, and Han will be back. In what capacity is hard to say though. It'd be awesome if they followed the novels as closely as possible. Although, I wasn't big on the Vong (Yuzhan Vong?)

--------------------

user posted image
PM
^
Scythe
 Posted: Jun 13 2013, 07:43 PM

Go Getter

Yeah, Yuuzhan Vong, two u's. I kinda like them. It gave us a taste of life outside the galaxy. If we're lucky, it might lead us to an expedition out of the galaxy, or at least better exploration of the Unknown Regions. There are great things to come in this next decade, I believe.
PMEmailWebsiteMSN
^
Makakoa
 Posted: Jun 13 2013, 09:55 PM

Go Getter

I'm hoping for the Thrawn trilogy lol

--------------------

user posted image
PM
^
Scythe
 Posted: Jun 15 2013, 10:21 AM

Go Getter

I'd actually like that. It'd really open up some opportunities to expand upon the Chiss lore.
PMEmailWebsiteMSN
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

SKINNED BY CATHULHU OF RPG-D

Affiliates [ View All | Link-us ]
RPG-Directory 

PLEASE NOTE THAT WE ONLY AFFILIATE WITH OTHER DIRECTORIES HOWEVER, YOUR BUTTON CAN GET ON THE BOARD VIA CHALLENGES AND ACTIVITY.

Meet the Staff!

Isadorabelle
Scythe
Makakoa