Add Reply
New Poll

Let's Talk Highlander
Makakoa
 Posted: Jul 2 2013, 08:38 PM

Go Getter
Group: The Staff

There's a forum for all the other cool stuff, but I noticed none for Highlander. I loved the tv show and the movies (barring #2 and the sci-fi movie, cause let's be real, those didn't happen.)

--------------------
Anyone wanna play Beverly Crusher? A little romance...marry Picard, all that jazz

user posted image
CLICK:::: STAR TREK: THE DEVIL'S DOOR ::::CLICK
PM
^
Anise76
 Posted: Jul 3 2013, 02:06 AM

Go Getter
Group: Members

Oooh, I love me some Highlander! I never used to be a fan of the show until I started RPing it last year, but started watching it when I got coerced into playing a Watcher, and needed to know what they were all about!

The second movie simply doesn't exist. Ever. And as for the "reimagining" of the original? NO! Do not screw with classics such as that.

For the Highlander game I run, we use movies 1, 3 and 4, the series and The Raven as canon; everything else is ignored, even the sweet little "Reunion" short that came out a few years ago.

I think my favourite characters have to be Connor and Ramirez, both from the original movie, and Methos from the series. I find Duncan MacLeod to be too much of an idealist, and largely living in cloud cuckooland. It was a shame that the proposed Methos spin-off never happened, except in the form of a few little web flash movies - that would have made an interesting show.

--------------------
user posted image user posted image user posted image
PMWebsite
^
Makakoa
 Posted: Jul 4 2013, 04:18 AM

Go Getter

The 2nd was just...whoa..out there, which sucked because Michael Ironsides was a great villain. And yeah, that last sy fy channel one...damn, it must've been the sequel to the sequel lmao. Ramirez was awesome. I hated he died. And I'm a huge Methos fan. One of my favorites. Although, when they killed Darius i was pissed. I actually prefer Duncan to Connor ( i like the idealist types lol). I thought the Dunan/Connor scene in End Game was touching.

My favorite villain was Xavier St. Cloud. Wish they had never offed him! I never got into Raven. I always thought it should have been about Methos as well. Would have made wayyy more sense.

Where does your forum fit into things?

--------------------
Anyone wanna play Beverly Crusher? A little romance...marry Picard, all that jazz

user posted image
PM
^
Anise76
 Posted: Jul 4 2013, 04:36 AM

Go Getter

It's a real shame Ramirez had to die - Connery is just every shade of awesome in everything he does. I wasn't too happy when Darius died, either - again, masses of potential, but a big death always causes ripples, good or bad. "The Source"... ouch. I bought it for the sake of having all five movies, and watched it once. Never again.

"Endgame" had high points and lows, but I felt it didn't quite get the balance right between movies and show - there was a lot of potential there to make the move into TV far more accessible.

I have to admit, I've not seen Raven, but, like you, everyone I know who has seen it says that it seriously needed Methos. Methos is the "Highlander" equivalent of bacon.

My board is set in current day NYC, at the time of the Final Gathering. We ignore movies 2 and 5, and the anime, and the "Reunion" short has also been laid aside as canon. It's been slow for most of its life so far, but the last few weeks have seen a huge upswing in activity and new members. Would kill for someone to take on some canons, though, as the only canon we have active at the moment is Methos, and my co-admin does an awesome job with him.

--------------------
PMWebsite
^
Makakoa
 Posted: Jul 4 2013, 07:20 PM

Go Getter

I'm surprised no one's taken Duncan or Connor! I'm not even sure what other immortals are still around. There was a Chinese immortal from Season 1 I think that stayed a live. hmm.

Did you hear about a remake?

--------------------

user posted image
PM
^
Anise76
 Posted: Jul 5 2013, 01:27 AM

Go Getter

Connor was killed in "Endgame", so we don't have a Connor. I think he'd have been taken pretty quickly, though, had he been an option. We had a couple of people reserve Duncan, Amanda and Cassandra, but none followed up with an app, which was disappointing.

With regards to the remake, it has been met with much cursing here. I don't think it needs it, and I don't think it could top the original. I don't have any confidence in it, despite the fact that it has "original" writers from the franchise attached to it, especially seeing as though they are the writers from "The Source".

--------------------
PMWebsite
^
Makakoa
 Posted: Jul 5 2013, 04:11 AM

Go Getter

Ugh@ The Source. Why not just continue on with what's there? Bring Duncan in, Connor's ghost like Ramiraz hung around for awhile. It could totally work. Toss in some Methos (yay!) Besides, all it would really need is a wicked villain and a good story. I guess they think 'remake' means money.

--------------------

user posted image
PM
^
Anise76
 Posted: Jul 5 2013, 05:16 AM

Go Getter

Unfortunately, the franchise was largely destroyed by "The Source", and I guess they want to reboot it, forgetting that the most likely chance of a revival is to appeal to the existing fans who have stuck through things right from the beginning.

Oh, wait! We're too old, and not "the right demographic". Let's ignore the fact that we're the ones with the disposable income and the inclination to buy the merchandising, and also shore up a surprisingly active online fanbase. Let's ignore the fact that "Highlander" still appeals as much now to its original fanbase (movie and show) as it did almost thirty years ago. Let's wipe all of our existing fans out, because they're not going to make us any more money, and try to appeal to a new demographic altogether.

Yeah, we all saw where that got the "Stargate" franchise with "SGU".

--------------------
PMWebsite
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

SKINNED BY CATHULHU OF RPG-D

Affiliates [ View All | Link-us ]
RPG-Directory 

PLEASE NOTE THAT WE ONLY AFFILIATE WITH OTHER DIRECTORIES HOWEVER, YOUR BUTTON CAN GET ON THE BOARD VIA CHALLENGES AND ACTIVITY.

Meet the Staff!

Isadorabelle
Scythe
Makakoa