Add Reply
New Poll

Defiance, The show or the MMO
Midas
 Posted: Jun 22 2013, 12:09 AM

Go Getter
Group: Members

Does anyone watch or play Defiance?

I really want to like the show. I'm on the third episode, but the characters are not very interesting. I've seen them all before, and it didn't work then, either. The formula is a lot like Terra Nova's, and the only likable character in Terra Nova was the dictator. Everyone else just made it a family drama.

I suppose the lack of a family being the main characters will ultimately be the show's redemption, because it will allow the characters more wiggle room than Terra Nova had.

It seems to be trying to be Terra Nova, Babylon 5, and Eureka all at the same time. It needs to be more like the second, and less like the former and latter, to really be successful.

Starting off with a conspiracy storyline doesn't usually work. Having a strong, consistent villain worked for Star Trek, whether it was Q or Gul Dukat. Seriously, GOOD VILLAINS MAKE GOOD TV. It's never the heroes! This show doesn't have any from what I have seen so far.

Also, the religious allegories in the aliens is bum. Make them more interesting than frickin right wing religious nuts! Or if you do, make them villains! Anti-vaccination kills!

Am I wrong? Does it get better?
PM
^
Isadorabelle
 Posted: Jun 22 2013, 01:59 PM

Administrator
Group: Admin

I like Defiance, actually. It definitely gets better as you watch it. I felt like it floundered a little after the first episode, but it's doing better now.

The characters do flesh out more. Like, take Nolan for example. At first I was very bored and unimpressed with him, but his mistakes are less stereotypical of a cocky anti-hero and a little more human. Don't get me wrong, he's still kind of stereotypical, but not quite as much.

So far Datak Tarr has proven (IMHO) to be one of the best characters on the show. He's a great blend of bad guy with redeeming traits, then just hits you with the bad guy again.

I would definitely encourage you to keep watching and see what you think. I think it's definitely gotten better and that the characters are growing beyond that first impression.

--------------------
PMEmail
^
Anise76
 Posted: Jun 22 2013, 04:36 PM

Go Getter

I'll admit, I watched the pilot of "Defiance" purely for Grant Bowler, whom I adored in "Outrageous Fortune". Unfortunately, I didn't find enough in the pilot to reel me in and keep me as a viewer. I don't know, I might try again in the future, but, for now, I think I'll be passing it up.

--------------------
user posted image user posted image user posted image
PMWebsite
^
Makakoa
 Posted: Jun 23 2013, 12:17 AM

Go Getter
Group: The Staff

I've yet to watch yet. But ...it looks like they stole Data's makeup hehehe

--------------------
Anyone wanna play Beverly Crusher? A little romance...marry Picard, all that jazz

user posted image
CLICK:::: STAR TREK: THE DEVIL'S DOOR ::::CLICK
PM
^
Isadorabelle
 Posted: Jun 23 2013, 02:23 AM

Administrator
Group: Admin

Haha! Those would be the Castithans, and that's about all they stole. Veeery different!

--------------------
PMEmail
^
Midas
 Posted: Jun 23 2013, 03:31 PM

Go Getter

I'm on the fourth episode, and I still haven;t taken a liking to any of the aliens. Everyone's just an asshole, and all of their problems are internal ones so far.

I rather dislike 'Alien mysticism' in Sci Fi. It barely worked for the Bajorans. And seeing into the future or past? That's nearly a deal breaker. Psychic powers, to me, need a lot of nerfing in most Sci Fi.

Edit: AUGH. Every single one of my predictions has come true. Every character, and almost every arc so far. This show is so predictable.
PM
^
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply
New Poll

SKINNED BY CATHULHU OF RPG-D

Affiliates [ View All | Link-us ]
RPG-Directory 

PLEASE NOTE THAT WE ONLY AFFILIATE WITH OTHER DIRECTORIES HOWEVER, YOUR BUTTON CAN GET ON THE BOARD VIA CHALLENGES AND ACTIVITY.

Meet the Staff!

Isadorabelle
Scythe
Makakoa